Friday, August 21, 2009

Material for August 25th!

WHERE DID WE COME FROM?

LOS ESTADOS UNIDOS (U.S.A.)

The Newest Immigrants and their Impact

Immigration Explorer

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/03/10/us/20090310-immigration-explorer.html

Select a foreign-born group to see how they settled acro

ss the United States from 1880- 2000.


Argentina 

Cuadro de Proyección Inmigratoria Periodo 1895-1946


Lyrics from Neil Diamond's song "America"

Far
We've been traveling far
Without a home
But not without a star

Free 
Only want to be free
We huddle close
Hang on to a dream

On the boats and on the planes
They're coming to America
Never looking back again
They're coming to America

Home, don't it seem so far away
Oh, we're traveling light today
In the eye of the storm
In the eye of the storm

Home, to a new and a shiny place
Make our bed, and we'll say our grace
Freedom's light burning warm
Freedom's light burning warm

Everywhere around the world
They're coming to America
Every time that flag's unfurled
They're coming to America

Got a dream to take them there
They're coming to America
Got a dream they've come to share
They're coming to America

They're coming to America
They're coming to America
They're coming to America
They're coming to America
Today, today, today, today, today

My country 'tis of thee
Sweet land of liberty
Of thee I sing
Of thee I sing


6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful lyric!, I hope that America should have continue being like the song with this idea of performing peace, security, freedom, and work possibilities for everyone; specially in my country. (And I hope that my english won´t be so bad) : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left a comment in one of these posts last week, but apparently it wasn't published! Strange. That's why Wordpress is better than Blogger. :P (just kidding, I say this because my blog is in Wordpress)
    I just wanted to say that I like the workshop so far, it is very interesting, well-organized and has the best lecturer ever (no kidding this time! ;)).
    Regarding yesterday's meeting, I just want to add one thing: in Argentina we call Spanish people 'gallegos' in general, without taking into account that Galicians/gallegos are only one of the cultural groups in Spain, which also include Catalans and Basques.
    Good work, see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to share some information I foud about black people in Argentina.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro_Argentine

    Nice wokshop!! I enjoyied very much yesterday!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Christine!I searched information about black people in Argentina. You can read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro_Argentine (in english). I have more information and very interested but in spanish. I went to your workshop last tuesday and was wonderful...congratulationes!Can you give me your e-mail adress? I am student of PUICYM Group, mi teacher is Andrea Vartalitis.
    I hope your answer.
    Many regards.
    José.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A couple of interesting articles I found about black people in Argentina:
    * http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/11/27/MNGH0FU3UG1.DTL
    * http://www.cwo.com/~lucumi/argentina.html


    Regarding why there are more black people in Brazil, my dad told me that that's because England was the main seller of black slaves and the Portuguese were one of their allies, so they bought slaves and sent them to work in what nowadays we know as Brazil.
    I suppose in Argentina there was never as many African immigration or slavery as there was in Brazil, and the black people who lived here died of disease or during different wars, but many people who live in Buenos Aires in 'barrios' like San Telmo have African roots (at least that's what one of the articles I left says).
    I don't know if you've heard about Fidel Nadal, an Argentinian musician who is of African descent (he gave a concert here in VM last Sunday), but here you can read an interesting and short interview in which he talks about black people in Argentina and how his family was discriminated because they were slaves from Angola: http://lahaine.org/musica/habla_angolenos.htm

    Well, that's quite a lot of information I think! I hope you find it interesting.
    See you!

    PS: Remember to give me the DVDs whenever you can so I can make you a copy of that mini series I told you about!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the information, we'll try to make it accessible to the rest. I'm glad you're all enjoying the workshop! Isn't Christine adorable????

    ReplyDelete