Here is some very interesting and helpful follow-up information from some of our participants. Thank you for your comments!
Carla said:
I want to share some information I found about black people in Argentina.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro_Argentine
Nice wokshop!! I enjoyied very much yesterday! Thanks.
José Francisco said:
I searched for information about black people in Argentina. You can read it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro_Argentine (in English). I have more information and it is very interesting but in Spanish. I went to your workshop last Tuesday and was wonderful... Congratulations!
Fiorella Giordano said:
A couple of interesting articles I found about black people in Argentina:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/11/27/MNGH0FU3UG1.DTL
http://www.cwo.com/~lucumi/argentina.html
Regarding why there are more black people in Brazil, my dad told me that that's because England was the main seller of black slaves and the Portuguese were one of their allies, so they bought slaves and sent them to work in what nowadays we know as Brazil. I suppose in Argentina there was never as many African immigration or slavery as there was in Brazil, and the black people who lived here died of disease or during different wars, but many people who live in Buenos Aires in 'barrios' like San Telmo have African roots (at least that's what one of the articles I left says).
I don't know if you've heard about Fidel Nadal, an Argentinian musician who is of African descent (he gave a concert here in VM last Sunday), but here you can read an interesting and short interview in which he talks about black people in Argentina and how his family was discriminated because they were slaves from Angola: http://lahaine.org/musica/habla_angolenos.htm
Well, that's quite a lot of information I think! I hope you find it interesting. See you!
No comments:
Post a Comment